Why Train Your Dog
- Training with Positive Reinforcement methods is effective and fun for you and your dog.
- Your dog learns useful vocabulary.
- It builds a foundation for solving future behavior problems.
- Your dog learns to respect and trust you as a leader and a friend.
- It builds communication and understanding between you and your dog.
- It helps your dog become predictable and more confident.
- You will want to take your well-behaved dog with you to more places.
- Positive Reinforcement teaching deepens the bond between you and your dog. The result is a more confident and predictable dog.
Choosing a Dog Trainer
Making the right choice for you and your dog. Anyone can decide to be a dog trainer and hang out his or her shingle. There is no licensing or regulatory body. So how do you know who is qualified and what standards they follow?
To assure you and your dog the best results, look for:
- Membership in a national professional organization, such as the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT);
- Certification by a nationally-recognized organization, such as the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT);
- Adherence to a strict Code of Ethics CCPDT and Training and Behavior Practices Policy
- A phone conversation or meeting with the prospective trainer
- Read the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior’s AVSAB how to choose a trainer
Also look for “red flags” in your assessment of prospective trainers:
- The trainer talks about wolf behavior more than dog behavior;
- The trainer has a focus on dominance and submission, or bases their methods on force;
- The trainer is not meeting the current standards of care in the dog training industry
Listen to your instincts. You are your Dog’s biggest advocate. Only you can decide if this is a Trainer/Behavior Counselor who shares your philosophy and will work with you as a partner in achieving your goals for you and your dog.
Remember; just because something has been done a certain way in the past does not make it the best, most effective way to accomplish it in the future. If you are ever uncomfortable with a Professional suggestion you should hold off until such time you agree that it is the right method for you and your dog.